Know Whether a Podiatrist Will treat Toenail Fungus
A podiatrist can treat all kinds of health problems related to your foot including toenail fungus. Many believe that toenail fungus can be easily treated by applying some lotion or cream bought from pharmaceutical stores without a prescription. Unfortunately, they are proven wrong as toenail fungus when left untreated may become severe and lead to the removal of the affected nail. An expert podiatrist will provide treatment using laser toenail fungus removal therapy. It will be effective and there will be lesser chances of getting affected again.
Nail fungus is also known as Onychomycosis. It is a common infection of the nails. Light brownish or yellowish spot can be seen under the tip of your toenail or finger nail. The fungus will grow if it remains untreated resulting in the discoloring of the nail. The nails will be thicker and look crumbled at the edge.
It is sometimes painful and needs immediate treatment to save the nail otherwise there are chances of the nail separating from its bed. Today, many podiatrists are adopting laser treatment for toenail fungus. It is highly effective and has negligible chances of recurring again.
In Irvin, you have the most experienced podiatrist, Dr. Sima Soltani. She is one of the best doctors treating all kinds of foot problems using advanced technology that ensures less discomfort to their patients. She believes that medical technology-based laser toenail fungus treatment is the best remedy to reduce pain and remove the fungus forever.
How the laser treatment for toenail fungus works:
- Generally, 1064mm laser is used to remove the fungus from toenails. It is a simple method used by heating the nail bed with the heat of light and carbon dioxide. The laser heat eliminates the fungus and closes the spores.
- The sterilizing effect of the laser heat prevents the growth of the fungus and there is a lesser chance of the microbes appearing again.
- The podiatrist would make sure the laser treatment won’t have a negative effect on the tissues of the toe.
- Some podiatrists recommend a few sittings to completely eradicate the fungal growth forever as partial laser treatment will be inadequate to completely cure fungal growth.
- Laser treatment for removing toenail fungus is expensive however, quite effective compared to other kinds of remedies usually suggested by podiatrists. Moreover, there are negligible side effects to endure. Topical antifungal infection creams work effectively however, aren’t the best remedy for severe toenail fungus problems. Oral pills cause more side effects and prove to be ineffective if the fungus has spread and spoilt the toenail fully.
What to expect in the podiatric clinic to treat toenail fungus?
- Your toenail will be examined with an x-ray before any kind of treatment starts.
- If the toenail doesn’t appear to be severely affected, then the whole nail is cleaned, dead skin is cleaned and the toenail is clipped before applying any antifungal medication.
- For the laser treatment, the toenail is cleaned thoroughly using sterilized solution. Then the laser treatment starts. The laser light is even maneuvered over not affected fingernails as a preventive method.
- The session may not last more than one hour. There are chances of bleeding when the skin heals and the dead tissues decompose however, in a few days you won’t feel any discomfort.
- Your podiatrist would suggest the right ways to take care of toenails after laser treatment is over.
- Signs that indicate the laser treatment to eradicate toenail fungus is successful:
- The yellowish, whitish or brownish color of the affected toenail vanishes.
- The nail will look fully cleaned. There won’t be any presence of dead tissues under or surrounding it.
- Your toenail won’t seem to detach from the nail bed.
- Soon the growth of the nail seems normal and the texture of it looks good. There won’t be any thickness or bumps felt on the nail.
Folk troubled with diabetes should consult skilled podiatrist as soon as possible if they feel any discomfort because of toenail fungal infection. It is better to visit podiatrist if self-care remedies isn’t effective. You don’t have to worry once you opt for toenail fungus laser treatment administered by an experienced podiatrists like Dr. Simal Soltani. You can visit their clinic in Irvin and be free from toenail fungus with ease.